Since my Birth Story vlog was so popular, I had some requests for a video about my postpartum experience. You ask and you shall receive! Please find the video below. I have also linked several items I discussed in the video in this post and a few I didn’t get a chance to mention that I loved postpartum!
My Favorite Postpartum Items
- Lansinoh Nipple Cream for sore or cracked nipples – I used this interchangeably with Coconut Oil (works just as well – however I liked the portability of the Lansinoh tubes!). It is available at Shopper’s Drug Mart, Walmart and on Amazon.
- Original Boppy Nursing Pillow great for early weeks/months of breastfeeding and as needed thereafter. I love this one but find a pillow that works best for you & your baby’s needs. You can order this on Amazon and there are also many different covers available there and through Buy Buy Baby (pillow also available in stores as well, including the Canadian stores). Love the price point!
- Viv + Rae Rowe Upholstered Manual Glider Recliner – similar to the pillow, find a chair that works for you but make sure it WORKS for you! You can find many aesthetically pleasing pieces that are still functional. This chair is so comfortable (my husband wants it for the basement) and supportive. We planned our nursery around a grey nursing chair so it worked great.
- Nursing bras – I have a few that I like.
- Angelhood Nursing Bra (Wireless) from Amazon.ca. Love these ones for the price and for at home!
- Seamless Clip Down Maternity and Nursing Bra (Wireless) from Motherhood Maternity – my absolute favourite nursing bra currently, it’s so comfortable and supportive. I wore this during pregnancy (for the comfort) and now for nursing.
- Full Coverage Back Smoothing Clip Down Maternity and Nursing Bra from Motherhood Maternity – also wore this one before/after pregnancy. I love this one for going out – it’s my more “formal” nursing bra.
- Bravado Body Silk Seamless Nursing Bra which I got from Carry Maternity in Toronto (linked) – great for working out! I also wear this one to sleep a lot.
- Nursing Nightgown from Motherhood Maternity – never thought I’d wear a nightgown but I used this in pregnancy and after – great for nursing and also comfortable for a growing bump!
- Nursing Pads
- Haakaa or Naturebond Silicone Pump – honestly exactly the same item, however I like the suction on the Naturebond a bit better, but a perk of the Haakaa is you can order the suction bottom one so it doesn’t spill (this happens!)
- An UPDATE: I actually prefer the Haakaa’s suction significantly to the Naturebond pump – I find it gets more letdown due to the suction, so I get better results with it, however this may be different for everyone and they are essentially the same product but just thought I’d share!
- I store my pumped milk in the freezer in Lansinoh milk bags
- Electronic pump = Spectra S2
For Mama Recovery
- Didn’t talk about this but a Peri Bottle (any type) will do – I actually used a reusable mini shampoo bottle from Dollarama and filled it with water – worked just as well but you can also order the Frida Mom one or another brand. I used mine until everything felt *almost* normal down there.
- Magic Bag Wrap Hot/Cold Compress is what I used because I forgot to make padsicles (which from others I hear work well too and you can add Witch Hazel!). I liked this because I could also use it on my breasts when I was engorged (alongside cabbage leaves!)
- Contigo Autospout – great water bottle for labor & postpartum! No tilting needed = no spilling water all over your face or baby!
- Always Discreet Boutique Underwear (Depends work too but these are a bit cuter) – worked well, I used a pad inside of them (heavy flow, Regular Kotex first few days followed by thinner pads as my flow got lighter, then eventually ditched them for panty liners).
- Molasus Women’s High Waist Cotton Postpartum Briefs Underwear – my FAVORITE purchase and I still love them now. Great for when you switch out of the Depends or Discreet’s. Hugs everything in – I’m still using them at almost 6 months postpartum.
- Spanx – just started using these recently postpartum (was wearing them before pregnancy sometimes too). Honestly it’s worth it to get the brand name because I have a non-Spanx pair and they don’t fit as comfortably and are more visible in some outfits. Holds everything in – I use them in dresses!
I mentioned a few links in my video, so here they are:
- My favorite breastfeeding resource = Kellymom
- I mentioned I was doing some exercises for DR (diastasis recti) – here is a good list of exercises that can be done, however you should consult with your care provider first! I had very minor DR, but I also did pelvic physiotherapy during pregnancy so I was working with a physiotherapist
- Currently I am doing the 1Hera program which is also has many great DR exercises (and a whole information bank dedicated to it!)
- Postpartum yoga has helped me immensely with this as well
I also mentioned by Baby Sleep Myths blog series which can be found here and here. I had a lot of questions regarding sleep so I plan to do another video blog in the near future talking about Maggie’s/our struggles with sleep specifically, what we did, and a realistic view of infant sleep in the first few months.
*Disclaimer: This blog is intended for informational purposes only. The information on this blog should not be used as a substitute to medical advice or medical treatment. As always, your Primary Care Provider, a doctor, or another health professional is your best resource for specific questions and medical advice. If you believe you or a loved one are experiencing a medical emergency, please contact 911.*
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.